Monday, June 30, 2014

Our Story Continues... Baby B coming this December!

It’s hard to believe that I am actually pregnant, and WELL past the point in my last two pregnancies that I miscarried.  Allen and I are so excited for this little one to join our family this Christmas and I know he/she will be the perfect addition.

My Pregnancy Story: 
After my last miscarriage on Christmas Day, my Dr decided that my body needed time to recover before we started infertility stuff again so I had to wait two full cycles.  Well, my cycles are super long, so two cycles was more like three and waiting is the hardest part.  I tried to keep myself busy and my mind off of it but that’s a little hard to do when everywhere I went there were newborns and pregnant women all around me! But, after taking provera to induce my cycle both times, it was finally time to start trying again, so we did.  On the 21st day of my cycle I went in to have my blood drawn to test my progesterone levels.  After doing this so many times I pretty much know if I am pregnant based on the results, if I ovulated but not pregnant, and they of course let me know if my levels are too low to indicate ovulation meaning no chance of pregnancy.  Well, my blood draw fell on a Friday so I had to wait until Tuesday to get my results.  The nurse called me and I was sure that I was going to hear good news, but the exact opposite happened.  She told me that I did not ovulate.  My Dr said that this was normal since I hadn’t been doing anything for two months, and it may take a couple cycles to get my body to ovulate again so we’d try again next month, and if that didn’t work then we would try something new again…. Needless to say I had a meltdown.  Like a serious meltdown.  I spent the whole night having a pity party for myself and was dreading the waiting game again.  But there was nothing I could do about it so the waiting began.  By this time it was early April and I was anticipating my cycle to start any day.  As usual it was late, and even though I knew for sure that I wasn’t pregnant because I didn’t ovulate, there was still that “maybe I am” hopefulness.  The Winter semester ended and Allen went home to work for the week break, but I had to stay in Rexburg to work.  While he was gone I was sick of having that false hope and I had a pregnancy test in my cabinet so I just decided to take the test so I could see the negative result, get over those feelings and move on.  Well, that is NOT what happened at all! I left the room almost forgetting about it, went back a few minutes later and there were TWO LINES…. I was pregnant!!!!! I didn’t believe it, I freaked out, started crying, but at the same time I felt peace.  This quickly became the worst idea ever because I was home alone and Allen was in a different state!  I called him in a panic and he happened to be at dinner with a friend so I told him he needed to go outside… and I told him, he couldn’t believe it either and all I wanted to do was hug him, but that had to wait for a couple of days! It was REALLY happening this time, I could feel it!

According to when my cycle started I was almost five weeks when I found out.  I was still confused by how this was even possible so I called my Dr and he wanted me to come in.  At my appointment we talked about how I most likely ovulated later and that’s why my levels showed that I did not ovulate at the time. Since I have had two miscarriages, I was not yet diagnosed as having “recurrent miscarriages” you have to have three without any successful pregnancies before they do that and run more tests.  The plan was to avoid that! So he prescribed me some medication (progesterone) to help my HCG levels rise the way they need to which I had to take three times a day until 13 weeks and had a sever drowsiness side effect, put me on blood thinners to avoid clotting, and on top of my pre-natal vitamins had me taking an extra folic acid two times a day.  I HATE taking all of this medication especially when I am pregnant, but if it is all helping this little one, I’ll do what I have to.  I finished the progesterone a while ago so that cuts it down quite a bit.  My Dr decided he wanted me to come in for an early ultrasound at 7 weeks to make sure there was a heartbeat and everything, so I scheduled that appointment for two weeks later.  Allen and I went in for our first ultrasound and I was beyond nervous! We were a week past my previous miscarriages but I was still terrified.  My blood pressure proved that, the nurse looked and me and said “you must be really nervous, your blood pressure gives that away.”  But everything went great, we saw our little jelly bean and their heartbeat! I measured smaller at six weeks and the tech was able to tell that I ovulated 7 days later than the average 14th day of your cycle.  Which made sense why my blood test came back as negative for ovulation, your progesterone levels begin to rise after you ovulate but my blood was drawn on the morning of the day I ovulated so it was too early.

 Here is the ultrasound picture, baby B is only six weeks here so they are SUPER tiny, but that’s ok!

 I’ve had one other appointment at 12 weeks where we got to hear the heartbeat and it was amazing! I’m a little nervous about switching Drs since I have loved my Dr here and he is so familiar with my story, but I have one more appointment with him here before we move to CA in July for Allen’s internship.  It will be fun to be with family through half of my pregnancy and for the birth, but I have a feeling our Mom’s won’t like it when we leave just a week after this baby is born to finish Allen’s last two semesters. J And this baby has to come either a tiny bit early or on their due date because Allen has to be back at school on the 5th!!!

I have had a pretty mild pregnancy so far, which I am SO grateful for.  With the medications I have had to take on top of being pregnant I have been completely exhausted, but now in my second trimester I’m feeling less of that.  I’ve had a lot of nausea especially when I don’t eat, which happens a lot because I haven’t had much of an appetite except for fruit and smoothies, that’s all I want, all the time! Vomiting hasn't been a consistent thing which I am OK with, but hasn't left me alone completely.  Overall I really cannot complain at all because this is something I have been praying and waiting for for a very long time! 

 I will always call this little one our miracle baby for so many reasons.  Like I said, it’s still hard to believe that I am pregnant and this pregnancy has gone smoothly so far.  We couldn't be more excited for this little Christmas present and love him/her so much already!  

Allen wore this shirt to tell his family when we were home for Memorial Day

No comments:

Post a Comment